Sakura Quest Episode 1 [First Impression]

Vantage

I love cute things.

1. kinghumanity says:

I like the idea of city girl reluctantly takes a job in the country side (although not exactly a novel idea).

Many places in the world are experiencing a rural decay as new industries and employment opportunities are increasingly concentrated in large cities, leaving only elders in rural towns, with schools closing left and right because all the young families have left (think Non Non Biyori). Whatever you think about the cultural and political aspect of this, I think we can all agree it will be a shame if little towns and villages all over Japan and the world were to left to die.

If Pink Miyamori can find a way to use tourism to revive a formerly prosperous town, I’m all in. I hope this will be covered weekly.

It’s a bit like Hanasaku Iroha in that regard. I have no idea why people who grew up in rural areas think that city life is amazing, because I’ve never thought of it in that way. You overwork yourself every day (especially in Japan) and come home to a house or apartment that takes a fortune to rent or buy. I’d love a peaceful, slow-paced life in the countryside, it sounds comfy. Grass is always greener I suppose.

Yeah. Rural towns and villages aren’t where the money’s at. With Japan the declining birth rates and ageing population are also contributing to things like schools closing down. But places like that are an important cultural facet and could use all the help they can get, which is why I was surprised that Sakura Quest didn’t attach itself to some real-world location.

It’s a cute show. And Pink Aoi is cute. It’s probably more wholesome and rewarding to cover than the other two alternatives I mentioned (Sword Oratoria and Eromanga-sensei) but we’ll see.

2. Wanderer says:

I approve of this series so far. Koharu is cute, if, perhaps, a little inattentive to certain important details.

This has been marketed as a spiritual successor to Hanasaku Iroha and Shirobako, and personally I can feel the similarities. If the people making it have kept those two series firmly in mind, I expect this will turn out well.

Wasn’t her name Tsubaki? :P

Either Hanasaku Iroha or Shirobako would be a really high bar to meet. I’m hopeful, but at the same time I don’t want to set myself up for disappointment given how volatile today’s P.A. Works can be, both in terms of production values and general quality. I’m going to proceed with caution.

3. GoodbyeNavi says:

I can see how it is a successor to Hanasaku Iroha and Shirobako. Small towns are dying with people moving to busier and bigger towns. There is definitely charm in a small town but the slow pace can be boring to younger people who look for shinier things. I’m going to give this show a shot.

Glad to have you on board!

I hope it ends up being one. The last spiritual successor I watched (Seiren, to Amagami) completely fell flat, and P.A. Works aren’t as infallible as they used to be. Sakura Quest having two cours would help to alleviate some of my worries.