WINTER 2017 ANIME PREVIEW

Vantage

I love cute things.

1. I don’t have the time this second to watch all the PV’s and stuff, but at a glance, the winter season’s lineup looks very bleak. I guess I’ll finally get to rewatch some old favorites!

On a different topic, thank you for all of your hard work running AAB for all these years, Eva!! I first found AAB back when Kamisama Hajimemashita aired, and I’ve been a fan ever since. You created a great thing. Best of luck with your indefinite hiatus! :)

2. Wanderer says:

It’s hard to imagine this blog without Eva. I wish the best to you, and I hope you will be able to regain what you feel you’ve lost and return to us at some point in the future. Luck go with you.

Now then, starting from the top…

Demi-chan wa Kataritai: A very nice series with a whole cast of likeable characters. It honestly strikes me as being the sort of thing Vantage would like.

Gabriel Dropout: It’s a cute girls doing cute things comedy series, except this time the cute girls are angels and demons… in training. Doga Kobo is doing it, and every cute girls doing cute things show they’ve done has been worthwhile. Again, I think Vantage would probably be able to appreciate this one.

Kirakira☆Precure À La Mode: …Who is going to cover this when Eva is gone? I’ll have to go searching the internet for discussions again.

Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon: …Are you folks actually not familiar with this? This is by the same author as Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken, and Komori-san wa Kotowarenai. Yes, it’s a bit strange, but it is good, and I assure you said author has enough followers for this series to have gotten attention even if KyoAni hadn’t picked it up. In fact, the biggest question is whether we can trust KyoAni to adapt it with sufficient faithfulness or not.

KonoSuba S2: Of course I’m going to watch this. It was probably my favorite series last winter, and I still think it deserves to at least be considered whenever someone contemplates anime of the year for 2016.

Little Witch Academia: I really liked the first movie/OVA/whatever you call that thing, but have not been able to get through the second one, for reasons that I cannot fully explain. Still, I intend to give this a try.

Minami Kamakura Koukou Joshi Jitensha-Bu: Looks like a slice of life series. Those are always good. I doubt it will manage to be as engaging as Long Riders has been, however, despite Actas having (again) failed to meet production deadlines for the latter.

Schoolgirl Strikers: Ah… hmm. Dunno. Maybe? It could be a thing.

Urara Meirochou: This is a Kirara manga. That makes it a guaranteed watch for me.

nyanko-days: …Look, I’m just trying everything that looks cute, ok?

Piace: Watashi no Italian: I have read all that is translated of the manga for this. Frankly, I think this deserves to be more than a short, but no one asked me. I found the heroine to be really likeable.

I think that covers it. I may glance at one or two other things, but that’s all the major stuff.

• elior1 says:

what do you mean? what happens to eva?

• Wanderer says:

You should probably actually read this preview post, instead of just skipping straight to the anime and/or the comments. There’s a rather important announcement right at the beginning.

3. zztop says:

My comments on the season:

Gintama: It IS long, but I usually just watch random episodes here and there over following it. Easier that way. I especially recommend the Dragonball parody episode (ep 119), the funeral episode (ep 231), and the recent one spoofing crying politician Nonomura Ryutaro (who cried when confronted with his embezzling public funds for a personal holiday). Expect plenty of p**p and d*ck jokes.

Kobayashi-san: The source manga was made by the same creator of the manga “I Can’t Understand What My Husband’s Saying”, Kyoshinsha Cool (which got an anime a few years back). Cool’s more of a lesser-known seinen mangaka.

Kuzu no Honkai: The anime will cover the whole manga. The manga’s scheduled to end next year March.

4. Sanokal says:

I know that you guys skipped Dragon Ball Super, but how about covering the English dub?

5. Anonymous says:

Wow. interesting anime this season. For me, there’s a lot of shows here that seem interesting, so I guess I’m a sucker for cute anime, but here are some choice comments for some of the anime that seem fascinating:

Demi-chan: To quote: “I have been and always will be a slob!” Can’t wait!
    Fuuka: See below
    Gabriel Dropout: Reminds me of Himouto! Umaru-chan.
    GRANBLUE FANTASY: Looks great. Might give it a try
    Kemono Friends: If it’s short, might be refreshing, like Puchimas!
    Kobayashi-san: What can I say? Looking forward to seeing how KyoAni work their magic again.
    KonoSuba: EXPLOSION!!! Kachou Fuugetsu!!! Wiz!!! Steal!!!
    Seiren: Absolutely. Looks interesting, and I like the premise.
    Urara Meirochou: Again, very cute!
    nyanko-days: Personified cats!

Regarding Fuuka…I guess out of all of the anime this season, this is one that I will definitely watch. I understand that you all have polarizing comments about it, but as I read the manga, despite its events, I grown to like it. I’m just surprised that there’s so much hate for the series, and I wish you guys would hopefully post about it from time to time. It definitely would be nice to see people’s comments on events. Some would dismiss this as a typical harem anime, but I think it’s much more than that. I just hope that Diomedia does it justice. It would’ve been cool if Gonzo produced it since they did work on Kimi no Iru Machi, which I gotta say, despite all of the negativity about it, the art was really pretty. One review thought that the character development was amazing, with a quote below describing Yuzuki:

“She’s gone from a quiet cry-baby who didn’t have the confidence to strive for her true happiness, to a mature young woman who’s ready to stand by the person she loves through hell and high-water. At the end of the day, what you want for yourself is really all that matters because if you make decisions solely for the sake of others, you’ll never find true happiness.”
    — Little Cloud Curiosity, Kimi no Iru Machi Episode 11 & 12 Review

I suppose that Seo Kouji’s works are not for everyone, and while I enjoyed the aforementioned works, I feel that his best work was Half & Half (short, sweet, and not overly drawn out!). Back to Fuuka, speaking of doing it justice, I was hoping that Miyuki Sawashiro would voice a character, and I’m still hoping for that. The infamous song mentioned throughout the manga…I never watched or read Suzuka, so I can’t tell if the band was ever mentioned in that (might be worth reading it to see how it started), but considering how it plays a major role, I really hope that it gets done well enough that I would want to listen to it again and again. Anyways, this turned out to be a really long post. Sorry about the quote, I hope that’s okay. Just wanted to share my thoughts, that’s all.

6. Yithar says:

Yes, yes, this blog shall be called CuteAnimeLolis henceforth! It is time
    for Vantage’s reign of terror to begin. Just kidding!

Anyways, I do wish Eva the best. I’m sure after 8 years this can be a pretty
    tiring job. I do hope someday she may return. But we’ll also see if the Yu-Gi-Oh
    franchise continues in the future.

Anyways, onto winter season stuff.

TALES OF ZESTIRIA X 2 HYPE!

On my radar:
    Ao no Exorcist (I need to rewatch the first season)
    Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo (Need to watch first season)
    Rewrite (At some point in the future; I need to play the VN sometime first)
    Fate/Grand Order (also just because it’s part of Fate)