Bleach 686 and The End – A Fandom’s Disappointment

Oki

1. Anony says:

Nice post.

I guess after reading it, I felt like posting a comment. When I first started reading Bleach, I wasn’t aware of the hype or the fanbase surrounding it. What really sparked my interest was the song Asterisk by Orange Range. Being the opening to Bleach, it intrigued me, and I did some research and got hooked on it. My interest grew after learning about how the anime was on Adult Swim, which intrigued me at how a show like Bleach could be on a timeslot like that. Nevertheless, after reading a few chapters, I could see why.

I continued to read Bleach, though I guess I can’t be considered a fanboy. I liked reading the chapters, though I never really felt any emotional connection with them. I never really thought that some chapters and arcs were just boring. I just liked reading Bleach for what it is. Even the Fullbringer arc wasn’t too bad for me. There was a lot of talking, but I was okay with that. I mean, for Bleach, it didn’t have to be anything deep or emotional. It was just a series that could be enjoyed for what it is.

Now that Bleach has reached its final chapter, It’s a little sad to see it end, though nothing lasts forever. The ending was definitely rushed, but given the situation that Kubo was placed into, I can understand why. The last fight and the subsequent conclusion left a lot of unanswered questions, and I suppose that if Kubo took his time, we wouldn’t get the answers to all of them. I guess that feeling made me disappointed with how the series ended, not the final chapter but the fact that it had to be rushed. I mean, the ending to Ichigo’s fight was hinted at beforehand, and this final chapter seeing their kids was just adorable. I personally think that this was the ending Kubo had in mind though the journey was definitely not what he wanted. I guess I just wanted to say that I thought the ending, though rushed, was great.

Anyways, that’s all I have to say. Sad that Bleach had to end in such a way, but the journey wasn’t too bad.

• Oki says:

I liked the talking at one point. For me the exposition is usually a reflection of cleverness. Eventually everyone went from Byakuya, who explained why he was winning in a way that could only be countered by genuinely being more powerful, to being stupid and explaining why they were winning while there was a significant chance of being countered. As soon as we hit a high with that I hated it a lot, and I always loved Bleach. I loved the show but it could be very frustrating the farther it went. The end of the Arrancar arc onward just carried a different vibe. If I don’t stay engaged I stop reading, and this was a perfect example. I don’t hate bleach but I hate what it became, if that makes sense.

2. net-diver says:

not to shit on what little positive there is for the final chapter but… if I recall souls can’t have children. I could swear they had a chapter about how soul society is made of non-blood related families. That except for instances of of already existing families (ie Rukia & her sister) when people die they form new families since their old families are still living so they leave the old families behind. I could swear this was a thing. Am I not remember is that right? if so Kubo obvious forgot either that or its just another part of the constantly changing history that is Soul Society. I get he wanted the babies ever after ending but they are “dead” it doesn’t work that way! or did they just “adopt” a kid that specifically looks like them??

• Oki says:

I believe the implication was the same as everything else, those with high spiritual pressure are capable of what other souls are not. So, probably only those who are shinigami can have children.

3. zztop says:

Rumours are that Kubo’s publishers and editors at the Weekly Shonen Jump magazine may have forced Kubo to end Bleach immediately given its stagnant popularity rankings (WSJ’s pretty cutthroat at cancelling manga titles that fail to meet a certain popularity quota with Japanese readers, no matter how promising the plot and characters may be). It’s like how Horikoshi Kouhei’s manga Barrage of the Battle Star was axed by WSJ before he came back with Hero Academia.

• Oki says:

I believe this to be the case as well, but as an art student one thing I am forced to do is to constantly reprise my works for time frames. Kubo should have cut out a lot of things and added in different things if he knew his time limits, I’m not saying it was right but I think his biggest issue is wanting to do things his way. The story he wrote is not conducive to what he went with or how he accomplished it, so while I appreciate it was probably his time limits I think his own poor writing is what eventually created his downfall.

4. Joss2103 says:

I totally agree with this post. When I read the ending I was really shocked and disappointed at the same time. For me, this ending doesn’t make any sense at all. Why did tite kubo made emphasis on the relationship between Ichigo and Rukia? What about the poems, the drawings, the heart-breaking scenes, etc…? Also, it was pretty obvious that Ichigo wasn’t made for a normal life in the human world, like he never actually said something about what he wanted in the future but surely being a doctor and marrying orihime wasn’t part of his plans, for me it doesn’t even fit ichigo’ so personality. Additionally, the ending was really incomplete; what about Urahara? Nell? And other important characters…? All can I say is that it just seem that this ending was just improvised.

• Oki says:

For me I could buy Ichihime if there was more time to it, I have friends who ship it and their love came for it for a reason so I respect that. However becoming a doctor? I don’t know. Ichigo’s only happiness ever came from being a shinigami, and now he’s just like ‘whatever’? He seems to have a contrived happiness and I want him to have more than that. I liked IchiRuki more but if he wanted Orihime, I’m fine with that as long as I *see* it. The ending was just too rushed. So rushed.

5. Jarlin james says:

I would say that even naruto had a better ending than bleach

6. RDV says:

I cannot express how much I agree with you. For me, Kubo began showing symptoms of his inability to tie up loose ends when he flat-out neglected giving us what could’ve been a hardcore show of an emotionally wrecking scene when Ichimaru Gin died. Sure, it was shown that Matsumoto grieved, but for the sacrifice he had pulled and all the shit he had endured pretending to be Aizen’s minion for the sake of the only person he had cared for– that shit right there deserved a freaking movie. It was nearly comparable to Harry Potter’s Severus Snape and Lily Evans. And then there’s this long-standing lack of closure about the surviving Espada. Kubo did produce a number of remarkable characters, i.e. Ulquiorra, Grimmjow, Halibel, Stark… the list goes on, and the number of fan arts and fanfiction involving these characters can attest to that. What I’m saying is, is it so fucking hard to demonstrate a little bit of fan service by giving us some sort of an epilogue?? Like, did Grimmjow even survive through that shit with Urahara?? As for the who ended with whom, well, okay– i am respecting his decision about IchiHime and RenRuki but what the actual fuck. Like, where are the foreshadowing panels for these? What’s this, we’re gonna have to rely on the thousands of fanfics and freaking forum discussions bound to result from this so-called ending? Man. It’s literally like a huge part of me died.

• Oki says:

You know, I agree with that! Gin deserved much better than he got, and it felt like Kubo was never very good at killing people. Once someone is dead he almost forgets them entirely while the rest of the story goes on. Surely Orihime deserved better than having Sora be completely forgotten? Honestly Kubo let me down by not just writing this end of the story better. He was so focused on 10000 fights that have no real tension. Every fight in the final arc: I HAVE AN IMPOSSIBLE POWER, LET ME DEFEAT YOU SHINIGAMI! shinigami: well, sigh, guess I gotta show my 7TH HIDDEN POWER THAT IS IMPOSSIBLE. quincy: GASP, BUT NOW HERE IS A NEW HIDDEN POWER TO DESTROY YOU WITH! shinigami: GASP, BUT HERE IS THE 9TH LEVEL also I’m a bishounen/have a giant lady bankai/complicated novel on my power. everyone: GASP!!!! yOU KNOW, instead of an Orihime or Chad fight or something genuinely interesting. Yawn.

7. NP162013 says:

The fights after the fullbring arc is just the same thig over n over n over. Unlike Naruto, which I always exclaimed “Holy shit! This is awesome” when someone got a powerup. But this? The only reaction I have for it is “For the love of god, not again?” It like detective Conan, where the same stuff keep happening over n over.

Then the real kicker start in after u stick with the awful plot n no tension fights: A time skip. Not a good time skip but a really bad one. After the whole shit show, my only reaction was staring at the … thing, n wondered “Why the hell did I even waste my time on this?”

There is so much wrong wit the later portion of this that it is clear of bad n rushed writing. Things happened randomly, ppl pop in n out with no screen time, or barely any at all. I could see someone is spending hours or even days posting a dissection of the god awful things that happened now this ending came out. Im gonna call it a no happy ending, not because of someone is dead or ppl not get together, but because it gives the readers a very strong feeling of being betrayed n punched in the guts for all the time spend on this.

8. leah says:

OMG!!!! THANK YOU!!! I have so many people telling me that I hate the ending because my ship didnt happen(and they’re right-but only partially) but the truth is…IT WAS A SHITTY ENDING. So many loose ends and too many wth moments for my liking. And hell I could have excepted the Ichime ending if it WAS DONE RIGHT!!! But no…none of us got what we wanted, not in the least.

9. I didn’t like the ending at all. I get that the manga was cancelled and all…. but what the heck was that ending? And since when in hell did Rukia have romantic feelings for Renji? No offense, but the way they ended it with just a glimpse of the future with Ichigo and Orihime (wha- ok I know Orihime has feelings for Ichigo but still…) & Rukia and Renji (Seriously!? How and when did Kubo imply them being a thing!? As far as fanshipping goes, I don’t see anything else beyond that.). If I remember correctly in the manga… ‘Orihime seems aware that Ichigo may never see her as more than a friend, but she stays on good terms with him and often fantasies about Ichigo.’ Is what I remember. And I did see that. Then magically they ended up getting married 10 years later. o_o Look… Bleach was great at the start and it did go down hill thanks to that damn fullbringer arc. I get it. Aside from the confusing and unsatisfying ending, the powerups were just… ugh! I mean they were cool at first. Until people like Ichigo kept getting more and more till the point you start asking yourself and soul society itself, ‘How the fuck is this guy still a substitute shinigami!?’ I mean I don’t want Ichigo to die or anything, but how many fucking abilities did he suddenly gain before losing them!? Look I know Kubo was forced into making this rushed ending, but did he have to end it like that? It makes no sense at all with the final product. I loved bleach as a kid but as it kept going it just became too confusing for me. And now we got a confusing ending. Now the shipping wars will never end…. even if they’re already confirmed…