[Manga Mondays] Saiunkoku Monogatari

Nikolita

Just an anime-loving social worker. I've been watching anime for almost 20 years, and I read manga as well. I've been to Japan twice and would live there in a heartbeat if I could.

1. kdfe001 says:

I liked the anime series, however, was cheesed that the ending was left open – I mean after watching that many episodes, you’d think they’d give us, if not the LN/manga ending, at least an anime original ending, rather than the usual “well, unless you can read Japanese, no closure for you, suckers!” that we’ve had to endure from other, shorter anime.

I did find out from other sources what happened in the end, but won’t say here.

• Nikolita says:

YES, I thought the same thing. I wonder if they hadn’t known by the beginning of the second season that there wouldn’t be a third?

For example, Vampire Knight did an anime-original ending, because it aired while the manga was still being published, and while I don’t like the anime ending it is at least an ending as you said.

Ugh, don’t even get me started on how SaiMono ended. I remembering reading the summary of the final light novel online and being so upset about a certain Kou princess. ;~;

• kdfe001 says:

Are we thinking of the same ending? The ending I read was sad, but it satisfied me, as in a “well, that’s that, and there’s nothing more.”

• Nikolita says:

Not sure? I heard that the final light novel contained an epilogue of sorts to the series, ie what happened to all of the characters. I think that’s where it was included anyways. So my comment was referring to the last light novel, not the anime.

• kdfe001 says:

Okay, then we did read the same summary. The ending made me think, “darn, too bad, but that’s life.”

2. zztop says:

The character names are how the Japanese read Chinese characters, but they have their corresponding pinyin pronounciations as Chinese people follow. For example, Shi Ryuki = 紫 劉輝 = Zǐ Liúhuī. Kou Shuurei = 紅 秀麗 = Hóng Xiùlì.

Try plug other names into Google Translate, and you’ll get the same results.

• Nikolita says:

I apologise. This is what I had been referring to. From Wikipedia:

“In the original Japanese media, the name of this clan and family is pronounced as Kō. By the request of Saiunkoku’s original creator, Geneon changed this name in the official North American version to “Hong”, the Mandarin Chinese pronunciation of the same logogram, in order to minimize confusion with the other “Ko” name belonging to the Yellow clan/province. Funimation has retained this name change in its distribution of the Geneon DVDs.”

Sorry, I should have been clearer about my reference to the subtitles.