Nagi no Asukara – Episode 25: Love is Like the Sea

I'm just a normal guy, chillin' on the internet in search of a place that I can call my sacred hang. What more can I say?

1. nikki says:

To be fair, they had the sense to not use a human sacrifice this time- they went along with the wooden doll, remember? And it’s been implied that people have using wooden dolls for the Ofunehiki for years without anything happening. But from their perspective, there was little else they could have done… in terms of safety precautions or in terms of solving Manaka’s problem and delaying the apocalypse. They could have not involved the girls at all… but then the Sea God would have been furious that they weren’t doing the ceremony properly. It was either they do that or they do nothing at all, and face the imminent apocalypse and have Manaka live, robbed of the ability to love. And the fact that Uroko seemed more sincere in his offer to participate this time around (I always detected a tone of underlying mockery in the first half) probably bolstered their confidence a bit. He is a scale of the Sea God, after all.
    A lose-lose situation, really, which makes it even more tragic.

• Chris says:

I understand that they chose not to use a human sacrifice, but the fact that they had to be there at all mitigates the aforementioned entirely. That said, I understand your point entirely – it was a lose-lose situation and, ultimately, there was nothing they could have done. But, I believe, there were many other options they could have taken and many different ways this episode could have been presented. As you say, ’twas indeed a lose-lose situation, but everyone on those boats (people we haven’t even been introduced to either) jumped aboard, knowing how unsafe it’d be, and seemed surprised when a wave appeared out of nowhere… From my perspective, it felt like I’d seen this episode before (and indeed we have: episode 13) and perhaps that was the intention, bringing things full circle. I simply felt that so much more could’ve been done in this penultimate episode…

But yeah, this was definitely a tragic episode.

• omoikane says:

It was pretty much a trainwreck in the latter half of the series. At times, it seemed almost as if Mari Okada did not have a clear direction as to where the show was trying to head. It was pretty obvious what the major threads of the show were and what their resolutions might have entailed but there were so many wasted episodes dedicated to zero progression or to quite maudlin teen drama that you really do get fed up with the whole thing. On the note of this episode, “bringing things full circle” did indeed feel like a rehashing of the earlier plotline. I think surely Okada could have done better as opposed to getting Miuna to play the victim. Seriously it feels like all the girls were martyrs at least one point in the show. Tragic as in Okada couldn’t deliver more and set up for a strong ending.

2. KF says:

I never really love Miuna. I tolerate her. As time passes by I begin to like her more and more. This episode, I felt something. I grieve when Miuna cried her heart out on the train tracks. I ship Manaka x Hikari now but damn Miuna – what a way to go!

3. Janet Wong says:

I agree. The first half was amazing, and then… well. A little cliche, and I can already predict what would happen in the last episode. Still, it was a good one.

4. igeisha says:

Continuation from above: and heartbreaking. I can’t wait for the next episode.