Sword Art Online: Extra Edition

Heavily Rotating

1. sidekick says:

OH WOW. Now that we’ve got the new girl and female Kirito we’ve assembled the full set! The kuudere, the nice waifu, the imouto, the tsundere, TWO lolis and even a trap! This harem is all-encompassing, anime is saved.

On a serious note, I was never a fan of SAO but this 100 minute special was really pushing it. The serious flashbacks horrendously mixed with breast groping and swimsuits was not a sight to behold.

I concur your disapproval of the flashbacks (A-1 Pictures strikes again!) but I don’t think I can say the same about the swimsuits, heh xD Look on the bright side, though – beach eps are unlawfully obligatory in this day and age, so at least they stuck it in a special rather than wasting an episode on it. Which would quite rightfully give the many haters even more ammo to use.

2. Wanderer says:

Sinon is wonderful. They’d better do her justice.

She is indeed wonderful – certainly better than Lyfa. I’m already pumped up seeing her sniping in yesterday’s PV!

Sawashiro Miyuki is very reliable, I’m sure she’ll do a great job as Sinonon.

3. TheVicious says:

So with the SAO S2 announcement, you think there will be any news forthcoming about a Accel World S2? I remember when both first aired, it was during the same season…

While I’m not sure how well the DVDs/BDs sold, I think it’s fairly likely. Accel World was also popular in its own right, and there are definitely many more LN volumes available to adapt. The finale teased a couple of new characters too, so there’s hope at least. Like with SAO, they’ll probably be missing out if they don’t produce an AW sequel.

SAO actually premiered one season after AW did – maybe this time it’ll be the other way round?

4. WandererYS says:

Awwww, Pina and Yui’s whale version of Titanic. (not too sure if it is true, just a fun thing to discuss)

I’m not too sure how long was this film aired, but the flashbacks aren’t that bad if it is aired towards someone new to the series. For fans though, well, the flashbacks are dragging things and delaying the fans from enjoying the extra story. Okay, maybe cut out the part with Sugou molesting Asuna (instead just show the part where Kirito gets inpaled and the comeback).

At least the whale didn’t end up crashing into an iceberg xD

It was 100 minutes in total, with roughly 80 minutes dedicated to flashbacks and 20 minutes for the ALO quest. With that sort of skew, it didn’t only delay fans from the extra story – it stunted the story itself too. We literally got a single monster fight, with everything else skipped out as a slideshow of still images until the boss encounter. I’d have liked to see an adventure with a bit more… substance.

The main purpose of the recap was probably to refresh our memories before GGO airs, especially to those new to the series as you said. Though it would have been nice if all the promotion surrounding this was more representative of what it actually offered :D