Log Horizon – Episodes 3 & 4

I'm just a normal guy, chillin' on the internet in search of a place that I can call my sacred hang. What more can I say?

1. Wanderer says:

Given the number of people familiar with the source material who say this series is about politics and social issues, I’m not sure you’re looking for the right things when you’re watching this show.

• Chris says:

Perhaps, but, honestly, there’s no way you can say that either political or social issues are being addressed in the show so far. I love anime that address more ‘adult‘ issues, however Log Horizon isn’t one of those (for now). Sure, it’s great at talking about and mocking MMO mechanics and cliches, but social and political issues? No, not yet anyway. Even Maoyuu Maou Yuush (by the same author) delved faster into the economic issues it was dealing with than this and Maoyuu Maou Yuusha was much less enjoyable (in my opinion anyway).

• Wanderer says:

You don’t think so? The entire descent of Susukino into chaos is a social issue. The reaction of groups people when they believe they are free of consequences is a social issue. How people behave when they have no goals and no threats to their lives is a social issue. Marielle gathering up the guilds, presumably to form an alliance of some sort, is a political issue. Even Shiroe prior issues with people constantly bothering him and driving him away from human contact until he joined Debauchery Tea Party count as a social issue.

And there’s probably more that I’m not thinking of right now. There’s plenty of stuff here. The show isn’t beating you over the head with it while screaming “LOOK HOW CLEVER I AM FOR TALKING ABOUT THIS STUFF,” but it is there if you’re willing to look.

• Chris says:

Point and case. I apologize for my ignorance pertaining to the various political and social connotations in this show. I’ll admit it, I like it when a show doesn’t assault me with an affluence of knowledge (I mean, that was one of many things wrong with Maoyuu), but I can’t help but desire something more relatable. Call me a slave to my first world issues. Whilst there are some aspect to this show that are relatable on a wider scale, a lot of the points you extracted, like the gathering of guilds, come across as more of a ‘plot point’ than a ‘political issue’, but, I suppose, that it’s your prerogative to take from any anime what you will. I suppose I’m not enthralled enough to search for a deeper meaning and that’s why it has alluded me. Who knows? I’m giving the show a chance, it might get ‘better’ and I might begin gleaning more from it, but until then I shall, more than likable, remain ignorant. And so again, I apologize.

• João Carlos says:

Take note that ask to Shiroe to join guild is a political acto too… a good quantity of veteran players know sghiroe and know he is the “strategist”. Any guild that have Shiroe as member have a good selling point for find more members.

So, the first episode had a political element. Re-watch the episode thinking “Marielle asked Shiroe to enter guild (but not asked to Nao) because Shiroe is a marketing asset”.

• Wanderer says:

The series does have many levels, that’s quite true. I’m just worried that the ones you’re focused on may not be the same ones the creators are most intersted in, and so you’ll end up unhappy with the series because you’re not looking for what it’s trying to do. I’m really enjoying this series, so I want to help other people to see what it’s doing, to help them enjoy it too.

• João Carlos says:

While the series is about politics and social and economy issues, like Maoyu, because they have the same author, Log Horizon anime aparently is adding some combat scenes for make more interesting. Too take note that Maoyu anime not show any real combat, like the one the Hero had at the demon world.

Yes, Shiroe will create a guild. But the reasons why he decide to create a guild will be given next episode, when Nyanta will reveal one or two secrets.

If you don’t know the secrets Nyanta will say to Shiroe, he goes:
      1- “I am your father! Nyan!”
      2- “Come to the Cat Side of Force! Nyan!”

Now imagine Nyanta saying it with the Arucard’s voice…

Anyway, do’nt worrry, around chapter 10 the things will be more interesting, there are some battles ahead (and they will be great scale battles, 12 guilds versus mmmmmm….. some people that have an army).

• Chris says:

Not going to lie, when I read your final paragraphs my heat skipped a beat in gleeful joy. Ah, the wonders of wide scale battle.

Blood lust aside, I agree, the actions sequences do indeed make this more enjoyable that Maoyu and it adds a nice mix to the often disconcerting discourse. I suppose I can only take your words for it and expect great things from Log Horizon ;)

2. Anon says:

I really, really must be getting old…why is the opening song good again? I for one have problems listening to half of it let alone the full version. The repetition of DATABASE is enough to drive me up the wall.

• Chris says:

I may perhaps be a little childish in my tastes, but I can’t help it! Blame the corruption of my generation! I’ve been brainwashed by years of pop infused English anime openings on Toonami, it’s not my fault, I swear ;)

• Anon says:

No, its fine, I’m just getting old yo :D

Regarding the show, not much I can say you haven’t said already. Its incredibly bland and if it doesn’t pick up soon its going to be a real chore to watch later on.

3. hackrabbits says:

every badass needs a loli