Suisei no Gargantia Ep 4: What is Life?

1. Linzz says:

This episode was sooooo goooodddd!!!
    I can’t help but to like everything in this episode. Well, this doesn’t mean I didn’t like the previous episodes anyway but the mixture of feelings and how my emotions dwell up on this was soo good. It felt good! Plus, Ledo is soooo lucky to found himself on Earth, seriously. This way, maybe his combat abilities may change too.

In another view… if you’ve watched a peaceful and touching episode, prepare for action on the next! Wooohooo Can’t wait.

PS: Chamber bondage. *coughs*

• raneem says:

I know this episode was ultra cute and nice, But I’m really waiting for action scenes to come .. as only a few action has happened till now .. me too, can’t wait .. also waiting to know more about Ledo ..

2. higgsbosoff says:

I seriously hope it’s not going to end up with the flooding being due to just polar ice caps melting, because that would be very unscientific – in fact, even if both the polar caps melted, the water wouldn’t be nearly enough to flood the entire planet, only the coastlines. The effects on the climate would be unpredictable, but still, there is not enough water on our planet to go full-fledged Waterworld. That would change of course if there had been such a catastrophic event that it literally flattened the landscape (an Hideauze attack?) or if water was imported from the outside (comets?). Or it could be that the Gargantians are actually only floating around in a ocean following their energy currents and never take land because of this? Or that land still exists, but is inhabitable/radioactive? Or even that the entire planet shrunk for some reason (could happen maybe as a consequence of its core cooling down, which would also cause a colder climate. But that would take a LOOONG time, unless the ancients did something stupid like digging EXTREME amounts of heat/magma from the mantle), and then the ice caps melted. That could do it, but I’d need to do the math to see if it’s actually possible XD.

Anyway, great episode. I’m a bit worried about these scientific aspects, but it’s just a detail. Suspension of disbelief is there for a reason after all ;).

Yeah the polarcaps melting and causing sea-level to rise would really only impact the below-sea-level areas. (Which could be the areas that we have seen so far). An Ice Age could probably pull it off varying on the scale of it. The comet- ehh a bit hard to picture but I don’t know about that aspect enough to debate on it.
      Well anyhow it would be a major key that if Earth is an almost entirely made out of ocean all over again almost as if it were slapped with a RESET button. (there was a point in time when the ocean levels were VERY high- I can’t remember word to word but I’ve recently learned this in a NOVA documentary about Australia having one of the most remarkable records of Earth’s development and history. itwasstunning).

• higgsbosoff says:

Found a reference!

Very interesting, so they’re saying that the land emerged for… exactly the mechanism I proposed for it disappearing, mantle cooling XD. Then maybe in Gargantia they heated the mantle back up?
        Also, a single comet would transport something around a hundred trillions kilos of water. Not much compared to the total oceanic mass. I’m at a loss here. I wonder if a catastrophic geological phenomenon of crust destruction could do it, and if that could be triggered by an asteroid impact or something like that (probably not, but it might still feel… sort of believable?).
        Nevermind, I just hope they don’t go for the “Waterworld” explanation. That would be very lazy.

3. BNV says:

“I cried when Ledo cried (how could I not? He’s my baby!)”

My “LOL” of the week. XD

I have to say this anime is turning out amazing. The animation and sceneries continue to work well with Suisei no Gargantia. The pacing is different from most sci-fi and mecha series (such as Valvrave no liberator) because of its tense, action pack sequences, but I like the pacing I’m seeing in this anime; I’m surprised Suisei no Gargantia is turning out to be more Slice of Life. I like that the director and script writer are giving the audience the chance to connect and characterize the various characters in this series– particularly Ledo and Bevel. During Ledo and Bevel’s conversation, there was a subtle brilliance about Ledo’s militarized persona clashing with Bevel’s optimism but wit. I was mesmerized from the beginning to the end.
    I’ve read commentors from other sites, and I agree that the Galatica Alliance Ledo is part of may be a negative impact for him compared to Ledo’s claim that Amy’s society is disorganized. Just seeing Ledo experience rain, watching young, charismatic kids, and dealing with repressed emotions for the first time, I find Ledo’s journey becoming more and more fascinating to watch. Note: especially next episode when Ledo may have to deal with girls with bathing suits. :3
    It’s odd because seeing Ledo “left out” in the most part through-out this episode made me relate to him, which is hard to accomplish since I’m no military pilot, but seeing Ledo’s confusion and unsure purpose gets me thinking how do you live on being just a weapon as your only purpose? We see Ledo once a soldier going military commando to now a human being learning about empathy. I just can’t enough of this anime! I’m loving it more after each episode.
    I’m beginning to love Chamber too because he’s hilarious to watch. XD Chamber’s “shuu” movement with the kids was funny.