Devil Survivor 2 The Animation Episode 1: Melancholy Sunday [First Impression]

I'm just a normal guy, chillin' on the internet in search of a place that I can call my sacred hang. What more can I say?

1. striffy says:

Wow! Brilliant review Chris! Especially your judgement on Daichi “Has an orange phone,” therefore pass. I’m going to judge all strangers like that from now on. XD
    And “a healthy interest in girls”. <– i actually read that as males at first
    I'm pretty sure the same can't be said about the eyelashes kid who I will now name the Butterfly Boy. Oh and the makeup guy actually looks a bit like Dio from Last Exile.
    For this anime my guess is it's going to go strong for a couple of episodes, then it's going to have a brain fart around the middle and get unbelievably stereotypical and generic (with children's card games thrown in for good measure), and somewhere near the ending the Hero's going to be like "time to save everything AAAAGGGHHH!!!" and Daichi or someone's going to die for no adequately explored reason.

• Chris says:

Why thank you ;) and I have absolutely no idea what to think about Butterfly Boy, all I know is that his presence will 100% make the show 10x more fabulous ;) and yeah, your right, BB (as I’ve now abbreviated him) would look exactly like Dio if his hair was straight!
      I’m really hoping your prediction is wrong about the brain fart mid series ;) I can definitely see someone dying for no apparent reason though (probably Daichi if he’s going to keep driving lorries into ditches), just to add an emotional twist in there… It happened in the Persona 4 Animation and it’s probably going to happen here… And yes, you’re right again, Hibiki’s character scream wannabe Hero xD

• striffy says:

actually i meant the guy in charge of the JP to look like Dio, but no, you’re probably the hair expert here anyway. (depressed in a corner)

• Chris says:

Hair expert? :O what a terrible field to specialize in! Get out of that corner striffy and stand your ground, I was wrong, now tell me I’m not the worlds most fabulous hair expert… please?

2. nyaaa says:

it’s supposed to be shining one, not sparkling one, at least in the game, as reference to the role hibiki would end up playing in the grand design of things in the alcor route and the other daichi route (daichi has two) of the game. since you have the game I suggest you finish it. it’s really good.

• Chris says:

I’ll definitely have to play the game then to A. avoid further mix ups in translation and B. to experience the games’ awesomeness… then again do I want to spoil it for myself…? Yeah, why not, I enjoyed the first hour of the game anyway ;)

3. Linzz says:

The first episode was a blast except… did they just… made Hibiki the hero so obvious?! D8 I mean, he has no ordinary demon to summon but a known avatar?! OMG well, he’s the main character, alright. LOL

Plus, DAT OPENING SONG. KZ <333333333

• Cielo says:

He got a Lv 53 avatar when the others only got starter demons? That’s simply… amazing 8D (especially compared to Lv 1 Poltergeist LOL)

• Linzz says:

Ridiculous, IMO but I’ll see the reason about it somehow. Don’t tell me these are one of those character creation bugs that happened on .hack// series after Kite’s and Rose’s. LOL

• Chris says:

Yes! I loved the opening song BUT I loved the end song even more :D The music in this anime is going to be awesome. And yeah, Hibiki’s character screamed Hero material, just look at his demon! Compare his demon with Daichi’s and you’ll laugh in Daichi’s face! When I saw the ice cream monster I was just like.. ‘what?’ and then it started killing people and I was like ‘What!’

• Linzz says:

Yeah, hail the floating Ice cream monster. HAHAHA

4. Hee7 says:

Excuse me, the pronunciation of JP as Jeep will never not be fabulous, though not as fabulous as Mr. TV World Eyelashes of Despair. And the ending song.

I really like this first episode, though how does ‘Dead Face of the Day’ not ring any creepy bells?? Why would you want to see one and why are the protags rewarded for signing up for that??

Too, the use of Demon has entirely different connotations to me than I’m sure the game/anime writers were intending. More like… Digital youkai/oni? Or ‘inner demons?’ Idk. Culture backlash. Ehh, gives me the heebie-jeebies. It’s supposedly Judgement Day so… *sigh* Then again, SMT is fond of Gods playing with humans so… OTL *conflicted*

Will see how this goes. Love the recent Persona games, after all! :O