AMNESIA Episode 1: Life Threatening Amnesia [First Impression]

1. Noc says:

My first impression of this show is pretty much a mix of Eva and Tenderfoot’s…on one hand I find it pretty intense that the girl will die if she doesn’t interact with others and regain her memories (something would prove difficult for many a person in her situation) and am definitely eager to learn the whole truth behind the memory loss plus whatever dark secrets the plot has in store.

On the other hand I find it pretty ridiculous that this girl would just hush up and not go to the hospital per the instruction of a floating being. I mean, I wake up, can’t remember anything, and then there’s this person that only I can see and hear telling me that I shouldn’t go to the hospital cuz I’m not sick? The first thing I’d say to that would have to be, “oh god, I really am crazy!” I mean really, just how credible is Orion expecting to be here?

As the viewer I know Orion is undoubtedly telling the truth, though, so I can let it slide. Strangely, it isn’t really the girl’s behavior that makes me bothers me here- she’s got amnesia, feels lost, it’s understandable that she’d be a little meek. What bothers me is the writing. Making her trip and break things just to be coddled by others, feeding the hate of random jealous females in the meanwhile? Never mind the fact that she’s suddenly the only female on staff a day after she collapses? And the harem, oh god the harem! I don’t mind it if multiple guys like a single girl, but it’s the same thing every time! The main guy is always an unadjusted jerk who needs to have his heart melted, there’s the nice guy who liked her all along but won’t say anything, the suave guy who’s always invading her personal space- to which she will blush without fail, even though my natural reaction to an unknown guy getting that close to me would be to elbow them in the gut- the logical guy (who is somewhat amusing to me this time because his coat reminds me of Vash the Stampede XP), and so on. Just wish there was some more variety to these things.

But the characters are more bearable than oh, say, Hiiro no Kakera, and the plot twice as interesting already, so I’ll at least keep watching for another episode or two to see where things take us.

I can promise you one thing that I know about one of the guys with: “Never judge a book by its cover”. And by your reaction, I think you might be caught by surprise- varying on how they play this out of course. I trust BrainsBase to do way better than Studio DEEN (who did both Hakuouki and Hiiro no Kakaera) since that company is known to butcher most of their adaptions pretty badly.

• Noc says:

Is it the nice guy? Is he secretly an obsessive yandere!? That would…not surprise me, not after School Days :/. But okaaay, I’ll trust you! Hakuouki really grew on me actually, especially after playing the game (Chizuru’s game persona enraged far more than in the anime since I had no choice but to hear her thought process- ‘I had to do something! …But there was nothing I could do’ -THERE ARE A MILLION THINGS YOU COULD DO, you have super healing for crying out loud!!). I’m a sucker for historical anime/manga though, so they had me at ‘Shinsengumi’ regardless.

I do have good faith that BrainsBase will make this interesting, but hopefully you’re right about me getting a surprise as well!

Hahahahaha somewhere in the back of my head knew you’d say that. Or rather, it’s not that hard to guess- it’s only a matter of which one (and you probably know who it is- especially with your School Days experience (i never watched it simply because I am aware and would not be able to handle how psychologically MESSED UP is it)). But hopefully there will be some unpredictable surprises for both of us in the future.

OMG, I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN. Those lines got annoying after a while. But hey at least the game was good- ah crap that reminds me I never actually started Hijikata’s route/FACEPALM I better do that soon. And he was the one I initially was excited for until Souji’s route happened and all the FEELS came rushing in.

Historical Series FTW!!!!!!!!

2. Linzz says:

The first episode seems to be really, REALLY depressing. LOL For an Otome Game adaptation, that was a huge shock to me (since usually, I really do love those comedy on first episode bomb!). But yeah, this seems like a very interesting to watch. I’ll buy it till I’m tired.

3. striffy says:

I’m going to have to agree with Tenderfoot’s take on this one. I initially checked it out for…no reason, actually. Yet somehow, even with my zero expectations, I managed to get annoyed at the female character (who remains unnamed and equally forgettable) for being emotionless and possessing no personality whatsoever. I think I’ll stick around to watch Amnesia until the girl manages to get more bland than she already is.
    Also you’re right about the guys falling into “types”. It’s like they were pulled out ready-made from the bishie closet!! XD