Sword Art Online Episode 24: Gilded Hero

Vantage

Heavily Rotating

1. Linzz says:

Am I allowed to fangirl over Heathcliff? AH YES, I AM /FANGIRLSOVERHEATHCLIFF AND NO ONE CAN STOP MEH. HAHA Well, I really do find his intentions pretty much absurd at the beginning but as an MMO Player myself, I do sometimes wish that the RPWorld is as real as being dead when killed. Still, HE STICKS TO THE GAME RULES UNLIKE SOME OTHER GM OVER THAR.

THAT WAS A GOOD PLAY, THOUGH SUGOU. HAHAHAHAHA GOOD PLAY, MAN.

Kirito: System ID Heathcliff
    Me: OMG THIS IS IT MAN, THIS IS IT!!! *pauses player and circles around*

Yeah, pretty much weird on my part. XD

His intentions may have been absurd, but at least his integrity still stands – he kept his word and released all the surviving SAO players, and decided to intervene where he honestly thought the odds were unfair.

When Kirito got up and invoked GM status, my only thought was: “This…is justice.” xDDD

*HIGHFIVES* You weren’t the only one. I was fangirling too!

2. Arimpact says:

I gotta say, when the molest started with cloth being ripped off. I was more amazed with the director’s decision to incorporate all this than anything else, Granted since the source material is like this they don’t have much of a choice but the majority of the time I was still like “wow.. they really went all out, you don’t usually see the villain made into such a hateful character.” I sorta just auto shut my anger emotion down in order to watch this, otherwise I feel I might somehow hate my memories of this ep..

Sadly, as much as I’d love to, the scenes in this ep also means I have to cross off my manager as someone who I can recommend this anime to. -.-

A whole ep left for conclusion huh… I hope 80% of that is Kirito X Asuna time together.

Yeah, usually there’s a line between an antagonist and a villain, but Sugou crosses both of those and becomes a character that we, as fans, hate with a burning passion. It makes us connect with the show and the protagonists better as a result. And you should recommend it anyway! One not so SFW episode shouldn’t be that much of a deterrent xD

The vast majority of next week’s ep is the conclusion…there’s something not quite finished yet that will be addressed next week too.

• Arimpact says:

I read the ep discussion on animesuki forums and a good number said Suguo was so over the top this time that it was just comical for them. That irriates me a bit cause ppl like him totally exist in the world and what was shown might be OTP for past anime standards but not at all real life, I don’t understand why people can’t relate that. Suguo’s a well directed villain in this ep I thought, especially in terms of breaking new ground which i guess others translate to OTP.

So ya…. this isn’t the first NSFW ep, lets not forget our beloved tentacle rape ep :P. That was offense #1 and I started to hesitate, this was unfortunately the nail in the coffin, lol. Maybe I’ll just lie and say SAO is only 14 eps and show him the first arc. It had quite a bit more meaningful substance than the fanservice loaded arc 2 anyhow.

@Wonderer ROFL that’s freaking hilarious! I’m Chinese so I can read that page. They aren’t saying anything you wouldn’t imagine if it was in English though. :)

I can see where they’re coming from, and from a few other sources I’ve read there are people who found the whole scene totally hilarious. It must be the facial expressions…but comical was not how I imagined it when I read through the Fairy Dance arc for the first time, so that probably influenced how I saw this final battle. He came off to me while reading it as a very insane guy that happened to have evil intentions for people who had already suffered enough.

All these NSFW scenes are coming back to me now…that Silica plant tentacle scene, implied sex with Asuna…fun times xD

And “Sugou Must Die” is a very wise phrase indeed. Such a pathetic guy…

• Linzz says:

Villain? I’m surprised people use that word on Sugou…HE’S A PSYCHOOOO A PSYCHOOOOOOOO!!!! D8

• Wanderer says:

Well, the fact that there’s a “Sugou MUST DIE” fan club on facebook should tell you a lot about how many fans hate him with a burning passion. Although yeah its not in English…

https://zh-tw.facebook.com/shuthangdeath (note: scroll down for fan art)

3. Eva says:

When Sugou started molesting Asuna I wanted to vomit, it was very sickening to watch- not to to mention pissed me off and become more eager for the much anticipated part where Kirito beats the living shit out of him.
    That said, I felt a little unsatisfied with the scene Kirito pwning Sugou. I clearly set my expectations far too high, but I was really… REALLY HOPING to see more of the fight. It felt too short.
    What I didn’t realize until then was just how big of a coward Sugou.

Good to hear though that he will be in agony for the rest of his life.
    So Kirito, nice touch with the face first stab.

• Linzz says:

Well, too bad they didn’t focus much on Excalibur than I had imagined it to be. But… well, Sugou’s death’s choreography was fantastically made. HOHOHOHOHOHO

• Arimpact says:

i was surprised how plain the Excalibur looked, maybe they are just trying to make it look weak in Suguo’s hands but for the best game i thought it looked worse than Sigurd’s sword

I remember being very moved when I first read this in the LN, but the only time I felt anything similar in this ep was during that initial reunion between Kirito, Asuna and Yui. Yeah…it did feel a little short – remember that there is also a link to the real world this time round, and nothing has changed IRL, with Sugou still being a candidate for marriage to Asuna…

Sugou was stabbed through the right eye ^_^ Very satisfying.

4. TheVicious says:

Great episode and review. Looking forward to the second season (not even going to question it now, considering the popularity…)!

Thanks xD Yeah I think a second season is very likely to happen, it’s just what form it’ll take – I know a later arc could fit into a movie, while the next arc after this might be good for a one-cour series.

5. Train says:

This episode was like a rollercoaster, alternating between happy and touching moments and the whole final battle.
    The family reunion between the three was really happy, although short.
    Now about the part Sugou had them both trapped, THAT WAS REALLY, REALLY CREEPY. I mean, wth, i knew Sugou had some “issues”. But what he did crossed all the lines, he was such a sycho in that part. Poor Asuna ;; , and poor Kirito for having to watch that while being rooted to the ground by that bastard. Seriously, that scene was hard for me to watch, it was sick( in a bad way), Sugou, you bastard! At least he had what he deserved later, which was kind of fitting to “everyone’s most hated anime bastard of the year”. Just one question i had, concerning the “pain absorber level being below 4 affected the physical body ” thing, did his body get affected somehow or just the sensations of what happened in the battle?

The battle wasn’t what i had in expectation, but then again i understood why: Sugou wasn’t a warrior like Heathcliff or Kirito, he was actually a coward, hiding behind his GM powers and in his real life company power as well. Kayaba’s appearance, giving Kirito his ID was boss though, encouraging Kirito like that and all, i guess he wasn’t a bad guy after all( even if he did trap and contributed in the death of many), he was more of an antagonist than a villain; Sugou being the latter. Altough Sugou had the best sword of ALO, the battle was pretty one sided, Sugou was pretty desperated the whole battle and Kirito wasn’t merciful at the end, altough i found it to be kind of brutal, after all they( Kirito and Asuna) have been through both in ALO and in SAO, plus everything Sugou did to Asuna in that room, i didn’t think he would hold back even a little bit anyway, and well, can’t say Sugou didn’t deserve that for being a whole other level of a bastard, i felt some pity for him though.

Sugou mentioned( while freaking out over the fact, Kayaba’s ID still existed within the server( Seriously? You copied his( SAO’s) server, didn’t you see something like this eventually coming?)), that Kayaba was dead. I don’t remember any confirmation of it in the anime, did i miss it somehow? Dunno you guys, but i think he brings a lot to the anime/novels, even if he is ” a bad guy”. Well, he left Kirito a gift, The Seed; I likely have an idea of what that seed is. xD
    Kirito leaving to see Asuna in the end, while the END Song was playing in the back was really beautiful, well done producers, well done.

Little sad SAO is going to end, but hopefully it will be the first of many seasons :D

Ps: Good job doing a great coverage of the whole season Vantage. xD

If it’s below a certain level, the brain signals that transfer virtual pain to the user probably become too strong, and so it’ll literally affect the body – he’ll be feeling actual pain in his face even after logging out. Well, he deserves it xD

The entirety of Sugou’s power came from his status as a GM – he had no actual skills he could fight with. Even with the strongest sword, having no experience even using a normal one makes having Excaliber completely useless. And hopefully, we’ll get more adaptations of the later arcs SAO has to offer us.

Thanks xD