Sword Art Online Episode 22: Emotional Trainwreck

Heavily Rotating

1. I’m glad that they finally figured out just who each other was in the real world. I’m hoping the next episode will be more of a conflict resolution episode and that this will bring them closer as siblings and be able to conquer the game together. Now that they have finally done this I can be less upset about the whole sibling love story and just anticipate the finally match between that evil scum Sugou and Kirito.

Sugou is a legitimately terrifying and disturbing enemy. It will be good to see him go down!

Conflict resolution is definitely a great way to put it – as things stand, Sugu is emotionally worn out and Kirito is wallowing in regret. Can’t have these things hanging around before one challenges the World Tree xD

The final stage is within reach now, only a couple more weeks to go! An ending is inevitable, but I don’t want this show to go… ;_;

2. Eva says:

Gahhh!!!! So many feels ;A; Kiritoooo Asunnaaa!!! ;A; /SOBS
    God damn it Kirito! DID YOU REALLY HAVE TO DUMP YOUR MONEY LIKE THAT LAST WEEK? *HEADESKS* As I watched this episode I was thinking to myself, “Well shit, he probably would’ve had a better chance making it if he had another sword on him like he had after he borrowed Lyfa’s during the Salamander fight last week!” It would be good if he could get his hands on another sword. Kirito is so badass when he duel wields.

Fear not, the money has been put to good use xD It might have looked like it was just to impress the two Lords, but it’ll make it’s use apparent soon. And perhaps he might have stood a better chance, but it still stands that the Guardians can use ranged attacks as well, and no matter how many swords you have it’s not realistic to block a load of broadswords being hurled at your chest. Definitely not a one-man quest…

• Eva that was my friends reaction as well! Hahaha. Dual wielding is the best!

3. Linzz says:

It’s okay, Sugu…. Cry your heart out, girl. You don’t deserve Kitiro. He deserves Klein. Yes, he is gay so better move on. C’mere, Sugu let’s make yuri together. LMAO

No shit, seriously this is what I was thinking the whole heart-to-heart talk with these cousins. HAHAHAHA

We need some Sugu x Silica yuri…or Lizbeth x Asuna…hahaha I’m just throwing around crack pairings now. But I pity Klein sometimes, Kirito gets all these girls and he’s not supposed to be the social type ^^

All the while during that confrontation I alternated between “oh shit” and “…awkward silenceeee” while Sugu was catching her breath xD

4. Arimpact says:

So… love bewteen siblings isn’t ok but between cousins is? hm…

Also Vantage, just want to say that I enjoy reading and agree with your general view on SAO more than any other blogger I saw so far. Keep up the good weekly posting. :)

I think it’s acceptable in Japan to have romance between cousins – it’s something treated as okay in various other cultures as well, so I’d say it depends on the perspective.

Thank you very much! It’s great to get some positive feedback :)

5. Train says:

Aaaaand… the shitstorm hapenned.
    This week’s episode was so… INTENSE, i thought maybe my monitor was gonna explode at some point, and i couldn’t( nor wanted) to take my eyes off the monitor cause there was so many things happening.
    I really felt sorry for Sugu this episode, her face when she discovered Kirito was her brother showed she was kind of terrified. I feel sorry for both of them actually, i mean, it is not like it is anyone’s fault, but Sugu must have felt really hurt after realizing that, and Kirito, must have felt regret for acting the way he did pre-SAO, and at the same time sad for her, because he couldn’t answer her feelings, as he truly loves Asuna. Hope they can patch things up in the next episode…

On the fight scene( dat OST, really awesome), Kirito seemed like he snapped again in some point, didn’t he? Anyway, at the beginning i didn’t think he would make it, but then again, he seemed to, at least almost, overcome the system’s limits(yet again) when he was about to die or was it just me? The whole fight scene got so emotional when he had those flashbacks of Asuna and his fights on SAO, too bad the game’s creators made it so no one would get past that. And really, those hundred guardians were HALF of it? For everything Sugou made Asuna,Kirito and Yui go through i really will be glad to see his ass kicked soon.

I share this doubt with Eva, on why he didn’t buy a second sword yet if Dual Wielding is free in ALO and he is clearly more OP when he does. Another thing, is it really gonna end in two more weeks?Seems like it will be kind of rushed if it does…( i also don’t want SAO to end ;;).

The intensity…was OVER 9000! *ducks*

I think it would lose lots of meaning if he made it past the Guardians on his first go. They made it pretty clear that there were clear boundaries Kirito could not overstep as a gamer in his position, and in that chamber he was a gamer, despite his primary motive being to save Asuna – it’s when the game stops being a game completely and shit actually gets real that one might muster up the willpower to overcome the system’s limits and step pass those boundaries. Or it might just be used as a deus ex machina hahaha xD

That first attempt Kirito made was in desperation after having the first piece of proof that Asuna is in ALO – remember, all along he’s gone only by a user-taken photo of what may or may not be Asuna’s figure. If he’d rationally stopped to think, he would probably have decided to buy a second sword in order to use Dual Blades.

It’ll end in three more weeks, at 25 episodes xD I’m assuming it won’t be rushed, as my estimations of the adaptation leaves one whole episode for an epilogue – hopefully it won’t be like AW where they just slap an ending onto the aftermath of the final fight. I don’t want SAO to end either ); We may get the 3rd arc, the GGO arc animated as a single cour series sometime in the future though, so it’s always a possibility.

• Train says:

*Scouter explodes* Dat dbz quote, hahaha, but in fact it was true.
        Yeah, it will probably have more meaning after all those thoughts he had when he was in “respawn time”, those were really emotional, for me at least, seeing he think of how powerless as a player he was at that chamber(although that is completely not true).
        Well, he had limitations as a gamer in that chamber, but as did he when he faced Heathcliff, and used his willpower to overcome his instant death and bring Heathcliff down with him. Many would call it an ex machina, but he has done it twice already(and counting, xD), so it is probably his willpower to save his true love. And i totally agree with you, the game,at least for Kirito, stopped being a game( as was with SAO) the moment he knew for sure Asuna was trapped in the game, so i think he will really find the willpower to overcome the system’s limits again :D

And yeah, i really forgot he wasn’t sure whether Asuna was in ALO or not, as for us, viewers, that was already a fact. Oh well, maybe now that he has the time to think things through he will probably realize that.
        Oh, better, :D! I thought it would end in 24 episodes. Hopefully, we will get the 3rd arc animated, as well as all of the novel xD.Btw, did you see? Volume 11 is coming this december, or so i heard.

PS: Quoting you: “The Computer is a Cheating Bastard”. He may be, but Kirito is still a cheater/beater. hahaha

Yup – Vol 11, “Alicization Turning” is apparently releasing sometime this December xD I actually haven’t even started Alicization Running yet =/ Might do so this Winter break, during those few days where the Fall season ends but the Winter season has yet to kick off, because of Christmas and the New Year and all that.

6. Arimpact says:

Everything about this ep was just amazing. The music in SAO is probably one of the best fitting music I’ve heard in an action anime. It brings out the scene’s emotions perfectly yet the does not over take the viewer’s focus. The drama, Ayana Taketasu’s voice acting (I’d really like to see her in more main roles after this, I hope she get that chance). For me probably the trophy goes to animation though. The detail of the bottom of the world tree was awesome in the beginning. Even more, the amount of individual moving objects and background detail during the fight is not something you see that often at all.