Psycho-Pass Episode 1 [First Impression]: Crime Coefficient

Heavily Rotating

1. Eva says:

I would’ve definitely jumped in the bandwagon to blog this, but I was so caught off guard despite being cautiously AWARE that there WAS going to be gore, I know I’ll have a very difficult time writing about it when I know I will end up covering my eyes during the dark scenes which is likely to be 85% of the episode itself. The whole guts blowing up from the inside out made my stomach flip and churn, it was too much for me.
    “Give a youth a trauma” They certainly nailed that within the first episode…..
    I’ll be watching this but with extra caution. I was able to survive Fate/Zero because of the bare min. gore scenes and good censorship, but this… May end up too much for me.

The gore definitely scared the crap out of me – I wasn’t expecting the rapist to explode like that at all. Now that I know what to expect though, it should be okay to stomach. Maybe there’ll be more development in the show rather than episodic hunting of various people, which means the gore shouldn’t be as apparent.

2. KF says:

Truth be told, what got me was that the rape actually succeed! Sure I’m fine with the rapist dead and all but to kill a rape victim? Psycho-Pass has some pretty mess up world.

Yeah, they never cut the scene and make it painfully obvious that the rape was going on. I think the rape victim was just paralysed in the end, but it was clear that Shinya wouldn’t have had a problem killing her had the gun told him to.

• Wanderer says:

Well, I think the system judges a target as lethal from their mental state and actions. If you are deemed dangerous by the system. Remember the victim had the potential of causing a huge fire if she ignited the gasoline (although personally, being that close to the gasoline the lighter might have caused an explosion with the gas fume, but that’s being too realistic and it also depends on how the gasoline had been kept). Fire, or explosion, in an alley is never a good idea, especially when you don’t know how much flammable material is around. Also, her mental state had became so unstable she was willing to hurt others and herself. Thus, she is set to be terminated by the system. However, once she shut the lighter and dropped it, her actions will no longer be the source of a crime and her mental state had calmed down slightly, so the system dropped her aggregation level. The paralysis is originally designed to calm someone so their mental state can be re-adjusted to normal (at least that’s what I’m getting hinted by what the characters are saying). As for the kidnapper/rapist, in his case he totally went over the edge so the system deemed him as lethal.

The victim’s Psycho-Pass was said to have become cloudy because the man’s did, making it contagious – but it would make sense if her own mental state had deteriorated as a result of being raped, and the system saw her as a threat to society.

It’s a dangerous world to live in, then, if you’re exposed to such an easy possibility of death. Nobody has a perfect mental state, and it’d be dangerous if small fluctuations gave you the potential of dying.

• Wanderer says:

Well, I don’t think those are merely ‘small’ fluctuations.

What I am worried about is when the system can be cheated, ie. criminals who can control their mental state to the point the system will not see them as a threat.

I can actually see that happening as a plot point in the future, where either Shinya or Akane realizes that the most dangerous criminals out there actually appear as mentally “stable” to the system.