Fate/Zero Episode 22: Intense Build-Up

Myst

Behold! I am Myst, the phantom blogger. You can sometimes see me, but most often than not, I disappear quickly and you realize it was all an illusion... Or was it?

1. Thess says:

Ah… I wouldn’t say that Waver-Rider have a father/son relationship. He is a mentor for Waver, but Waver has been attracted to him since the moment they met (it’s clearer in the novel where he experiences sexual arousal the very moment his sees him). Urobuchi has said many times he is pretty into the idea of romantic male bonding of the ancient Greeks (he saw Saber/Shirou as example of this in FSN and Saber as a guy). Alexander was taught by Aristotle, the master of this style. That’s how the manga version portrays their meeting like Shirou and Saber in FSN.

Waver even blushes scarlet in this episode to make his crush clearer.

His future self seems to have zero interest in all the women who want to sleep with him. Just hints. ;)

• Myst says:

…AH. Well… That kinda destroyed everything I thought was cool about them. I’m far from being a Yaoi fan lol! But aside from that, I guess “mentor” also cuts it, and while the crush Waver has on Rider isn’t portrayed very well in the anime, I have to say that it’s not such a big surprise, after all I find the age difference to be… Intriguing?

Also, I haven’t watched/played FSN, so I wouldn’t be able to compare.

• Thess says:

Really now? It changes nothing. The mentorship between a young man and an older one is the based of one of the most important relationships for those in ancient Greece. Considering how women were viewed the same as children and slaves.

I would say it’s portrayed well enough. Waver’s tsundere around him and goes dere (although it is more obvious in the manga where he keeps blushing and they actually portrayed the nudity instead of censoring it. The pants scene in episode 7? Alexander was naked actually, only with his tiny t-shirt). The staff has fun to compare them to a bitchy girlfriend (Waver) and an indulgent boyfriend. Remember that Rider is Alexander the Great you’re speaking about, he’s bisexual with homoromantic tendencies (his greatest love was his companion Hephaestion, the Patroclus to his Achilles). Gen Urobuchi claims he would have slept with Kayneth and his fiancée if they would have summoned him. It doesn’t mean that Rider returns Waver’s potential feelings. Even if there are parental undertones sometimes, keep in mind that Natalia wanted to sleep with Kiritsugu her ‘adopted son’ (it’s clearer in the side story Heart of Freaks, go read it).

Speaking on this subject: Gilles de Rais was homosexual (made bisexual in Nasuverse because they turn his platonic devotion to Joan into something romantic) and his Master seems like a modern version of his lover and partner in crime Prelati. That’s why Ufotable says they are a ‘married couple’. Gilgamesh is pansexual, and his interest in Saber (who once had a penis, for your information, she was Mordred’s father), is due to her resemblance to his soulmate, the wildman Enkidu. Anime cut his flashback to Enkidu’s death in his arms. Fortunately, they might include it in the uncut episodes and his official tribute song is about his loss and sorrow for Enkidu.

I wouldn’t call it BL, it’s accurate to their historical and legendary eras.

• Myst says:

It makes sense when you think about it, because it does work with their historical background, however in the end I hadn’t realized any of what you said before you told me :P I guess it’s something you realize much more when you know more about the characters, and it’s fun extra info which adds a bit to the background. There were a lot of things which I didn’t know at all before you told me though.

2. Vantage says:

It’s good that Waver and Rider had a friendly relationship beyond the normal Master-Servant one, since normally, using up all 3 command seals ends in death for the Master since the Servant isn’t bound by it anymore. Someone like Kariya would never dare to do what Waver did lol.

About the Irisviel thing – it’ll be obvious if you’re familiar with F/SN, but try to think of it in another way (not what was in Iri’s head to begin with, but rather the significance of the black muck and her current location). And oh god, that Ilya scene broke my heart ;_;

• Myst says:

Alright, I’ll be looking forward to knowing a little bit more about Irisviel, and worse off if we don’t get any answer I’ll go fetch it somehwere :P And for Kariya to do the same thing would be completely suicidal, especially considering he has Berserker, who can’t be controlled at all.