AKB0048 Episode 4: Frustrations

Heavily Rotating

1. TimesTicking says:

I finally got to see an episode without mecha XD
    Since 75th Generation is the cursed one then I’m guessing the 76th Generation was the failures.
    Didn’t know Acchan was leaving AKB48 O.o
    I wonder what would happened to the manga AKB49 O.o

I wonder why there are so many generations yet not too many numbers behind the member’s names – you’d think they’d go through more than 9 Yuko’s after 77 generations, given how often people graduate from the group.

And yeah, Acchan’s leaving sometime this year apparently. I don’t read the manga, but it doesn’t sound too bad from the synopsis xD

2. Eva says:

I’m guessing the 76th all died. LOL. XDDD
    What? Either that or they mysteriously vanished or were captured.

…And are now being tortured in some dark dungeon by the totalitarian govt? xD If anything, that dodgy shrine thing probably has something to do with it.

3. Spoon says:

“The little bit over the “center” of the group was interesting as well. From what I gathered, the center is the person that leads the group and coordinates everything, something like a de facto leader of sorts.”

I don’t know how it works in the series, but in real life the Center is the girl who wins first place in the Senbatsu election (it’s a popularity contest). The winner was Yuko on 2010, and Acchan on 2011. This girl takes the central position of the dance formation on stage.

But the Center is not the leader. At least not in the real AKB. The leader of AKB is Takamina, as shown in the 2011 documentary. She has been given this role due to her qualities as a leader, not as an idol. In fact, she ranked 7 in the last election, not even close to be one the of the most popular members lol. But she’s the group maintainer, what makes AKB works as a team.

Oh so that’s what they get for winning the Senbatsu election. I’ve been wondering what that was all about lol, it featured in the AKB documentary.

Aren’t the results of the next one being announced in two weeks or something? I hear Mayuyu’s been pushed up a couple of ranks from her 5th last time from the initial counting yesterday, and Yuko’s got a lead so far due to Acchan not participating.

• Spoon says:

Yeah, I heard Takamina is 5th right now, so I hope she will do better this time than last year.

Anyway, as you see, the center position is totally unrelated to the role of leader. And if you watched the documentary then you know what makes Takamina such a great leader, and it’s not something a popularity contest can give you.

Still, I wonder if they anime is trying to introduce a “center = leader” concept to the table. I hope not, since it doesn’t make sense in the first place. Besides, too much focus on one person can’t be good for the team dynamic IMO.

Hopefully she’ll maintain 5th at least then xD I want Mayuyu to overtake Yukirin for 2nd somehow, though it’s unlikely. And yeah, I see what you mean xD

The end of the ED hints at Nagisa being the center, which would be okay, since Nagisa’s not really leader material even though she’s the main character. Someone like Kanata would do a better job.

• Spoon says:

The end of the ED does have Nagisa in the center position, but the end of the OP shows a double-center formation with both Nagisa and Chieri in that position. I gotta admit I think that’s a bit more interesting than going the obvious route of having only the main character as center. We’ll see what happens.

As for leader… there’s only one team of actual members, so the captain should be the leader, but it seems the anime doesn’t even have the captain position lol. Again, we’ll have to wait and see what they do.