Mawaru Penguindrum Ep 13: The Goddess’ Punishment
Remember last episode’s information spam? No?
Here’s a recap of Episode 12:
- Sanetoshi talks about how he hates Fate
- We learn that Shou’s parents were really the blame for Momoka’s death along with several other people as they were part of an organization that bombed several different places within the city simultaneously. So I can’t help but think they might have been terrorists or something. We don’t exactly know the purpose behind their attacks, but according to their father, he said something about ‘for world peace’. Hopefully we’ll learn more about the purpose in the future. No matter how you look at it, it’s totally fucked up, not to mention a complete twist.
- We learned that for a time being, Tabuki was in denial that Momoka was dead.
- Himari dies because they had not successfully obtained the Penguindrum
- Shouma suddenly starts talking about Mary and her three little lambs. (He looked to be possessed when he was doing this).
- The story about Mary and her little lambs revolves how one day Mary finds the apple tree had withered and cried and cried and cried as the world had shrouded in darkness. Then suddenly she heard voices and saw two abnormally large black bunnies who encourage her to ‘borrow’ some ashes from the Goddess’ shrine to revive the tree and succeeds.
- Black Bunnies perhaps are Evil??? Maybe in this story they serve as the Devil?
- However The Goddess grew angry and decided to punish Mary because what she had done was a tabboo and by choosing the smallest and youngest of the three lambs (Himari) and declare a cruel fate, claiming it wouldn’t be a punishment if it weren’t unfair.
- It turns out that Tamba had given the Goddess half of his life so that he could saving Himari’s life
- The Goddess mentions how she can’t take the other half of his life because it won’t work the second time, despite that Tamba insists they try anyways but in the end, it doesn’t work.
- Then all the sudden. BAMF, Sanetoshi appears with an apple in his hands and two little servants behind him who are also carrying something who look almost like the dark rabbits.
LET ME JUST SAY ONE THING FIRST BEFORE I START: THE MORE I TRY TO UNDERSTAND WTF IS GOING, THE MORE CONFUSED I GET. HOLY SHIT, THIS IS INSANELY COMPLICATED.
Now what happened this week:
It resumes with how Shouma hates fate. We also learn a bit about his past which continues to raise questions about his motives, moreover it looks like Mario and Himari string of fate are connected. We didn’t see Mario collasps, but Masako indicated thanking Sanetoshi for the medication along with the fact she too has an apple on her. The strange part that makes me raise the questions so much is Sanetoshi’s story how he loved someone but was rejected, and this love for this girl he had could possibly turn out to be the Goddess. When you think about it, that goddess is probably Sanetoshi’s goal as he looks like he is desperately trying to encounter her again through literally playing with both Mario’s and Himari’s life. It also looks like he would aid the party that already has the piece of the penguindrum.
Now here’s the bigger question. Is the goddess we see on Himari’s team the same as in Mario’s? If not, in this case I’m starting to believe that Sanetoshi is somewhat a god that serves Mario’s side of the competition.
For weeks I wasn’t entirely sure whether the Destiny Diary was the penguindrum itself, but considering what’s going on now, I think it’s safe for me to say it’s the real thing.
OH AND YES,
(I ALMOST FORGOT TO MENTION THIS) I CAN’T BELIEVE IT. I ACTUALLY HAD TO BACKUP, APPARENTLY MASAKO ONLY HAS ONE HALF OF THE THE DIARY! @____@ I’M SO CONFUSED. I THOUGHT SHE HAD BOTH, (MOTORCYCLE INCIDENT + HOSPITAL INCIDENT) BUT NOOOO, SHE ONLY HAS ONE HALF, WHAT THE HELL, DOES THAT MEAN THERE’S ANOTHER PERSON IN THE COMPETITION OR AM I FORGETTING SOMETHING CRUCIAL HOLY SHIT. MY POOR BRAIN. Maybe because I skipped breakfast?
…. Nah, probably not.
As for the bigger question: Just what is the penguindrum? What can it do?
With that said, we also must not forget what the goddess mentioned last week during her last talk with Kanba. She claimed that without the penguindrum, they can’t get themselves off the ugly path of fate. If that’s the case I wonder, if Sanetoshi were to get the penguindrum before her, he would change his fate of being rejected. The new ED raises some questions as two hands are reaching out for Himari in the Goddess form. One hand could be her soul mate whom she had mentioned earlier, the other could be Sanetoshi who may be trying to reunite with the Goddess who resides in that hat.
Last but not least, the most eeire part of all: We learned that the Goddess (from the story of Mary and her little lambs) decided to save Himari only to allow the punishment to continue in the most cruel way.
In other words, a cycle of torturous event of losing the one you love over and over and over again without knowing if they’ll ever wake up again.
Last but not least, I’m really happy with the development we’re getting with Ringo. She really got her reality check and opened up to Tabuki about how she felt about having thought she needed to live as Momoka.