Gosick Episode 20: Corniness and Disney Storylines, Here we Go

Behold! I am Myst, the phantom blogger. You can sometimes see me, but most often than not, I disappear quickly and you realize it was all an illusion... Or was it?

1. iwhbyd11 says:

It seems your view on this anime has dramatically changed from the beginning, whereas in the beginning you seemed to really “love” this show with all of your, cross’d out word “jokes” and what not, but now you seem to not enjoy it and un-pleased by it….hmm its only been the last like 8-9 episodes or so :/

• Myst says:

Indeed, it can happen quite often that I change my mind halfway through, when I think that the plot is going to get somewhere really cool and in fact it just kinda dulls out and becomes bad or stretches out… Right now, I’d say I’m a bit disappointed, and I don’t find it as super amazing as I thought it was going to be. It’s not bad, but after watching 20 episodes of it I’m kinda sick of it…

• Iwhbyd11 says:

I see, well on the other hand, i pretty much love this show, lol…it always seems to amuse me even though the tone of this anime is suppost to be serious in most aspects.. But it has been part of my “watch gosick first and watch the other 20 animes later- Friday night line up”..and if you are disapointed by the fact that the mysteries themselves were not that hard to solve, I saw that coming from a mile away, there are never any legit “mystery” anime shows (not any that I’ve seen anyway)

• Myst says:

Well, what I mean to say by the mystery thing was mostly because I was expecting this to have much more plot than it has showed me. It started off very well, then just kinda stayed at that line and didn’t seem to improve that much as it went on. As for great mysteries, I’ve only just recently started liking this genre, however a very good one aired just last Fall Season 2010, Psychic Detective Yakumo. What deceives me the most of Gosick is that it is way too “american-like” and much less original than what I expected it to be. Maybe I expected too much… Meh, anyways XD.

2. ryvrdrgn14 says:

I’ve also stopped watching the show and mostly rely on the reviews here to see if it is worth picking up again sometime. I understood as well from the start that the mysteries are just a side dish, but I will have to agree that the plot is moving very slowly.

My other issue is that I feel that character development in the show has been a little stagnant since the middle and that the character personalities and views are just bouncing back and forth within a small range.

I will admit though that outside of a good and consistent plot or great character development (unless it is outright amusing), I find little interest in following a series beyond the initial few arcs.

I sometimes feel that when a long-running (or intended to be long-running) series hits “cruise mode” then we just get more of the same until the author can come up with some interesting arc.

• Myst says:

I’ve noticed that also, a lot of shows that are more than a half season end up doing that. I’d definitely be looking forward to a show that can actually keep everything going and actually be original for so long, because I feel we haven’t seen that many in quite a while :/. I totally agree with you on the character development, I’m also really deceived with the plot not only because it’s moving slowly, but because there are a lot of things that were expected to be much better than this, but that turned out dull and stupid in the end. I mean, Albert de Blois doesn’t seem that menacing anymore, all he did was to ask Victorique to solve a case… Woah, scary *facepalm*.